Jays Journal has recently launched a brand new podcast, which is hosted by our own Ari Shapiro, and can be found on blogtalkradio.com. Tune in regularly to hear Ari and a wild range of guests talk about current issues, have roundtable discussions, and regularly take your calls to discuss all things Blue Jays.
We’re thrilled to have former Toronto Blue Jays pitcher and 3-time World Series champion, Todd Stottlemyre (@ToddStottlemyre), join host Ari Shapiro in an evening of baseball repartee and introspective reflection. Tune in as we discuss:
The fleeting nature of fame and the vanishing spotlight (2:20); on being recognized in Toronto and how Canada’s adoration of the glory years remains inspirational to him (4:45); will the team be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? (6:15); thoughts about the wild card (9:01); memorabilia and memories in his den (11:40); his thoughts on the 12-24 start in 1989 and how Cito Gaston’s leadership turned the ship around (18:25); a look back at AL East competition during his era (21:29).
More from Jays Journal
- Blue Jays: Snapping cold streaks at the right time
- Who Should the Blue Jays Extend First: Guerrero, Bichette or Manoah?
- Blue Jays now hold the top Wild Card spot, and yes that’s a good thing
- Blue Jays may have the tools to use a Bullpen Day
- Blue Jays win important first game after Bichette’s late inning heroics
Remembering the brilliant Tony Gwynn and his exquisite brand of hitting (26:30); the origins of his recently published book (33:01); is MLB doing enough to help athletes after they retire (37:45); loopy salaries, frivolous free agency, and player regression (49:20); the value of heart and an indomitable will – his short list of clubhouse leaders (53:05); Dave Stewart and pitching intimidation (55:07); how to handle a bad case of the yips (58:50); and why 300 career wins is now a pipe dream (61:10).
Todd Stottlemyre is the author of “Relentless Success through Triumph & Tragedy”; check out his website at www.toddofficial.com to pre-order your copy. First 2,500 orders will receive a limited edition autographed copy of his book.
Follow us @jaysjournal, the host Ari Shapiro (@ari_shapiro), and check back regularly for an exciting new addition to the website. Be sure to watch these accounts for your next opportunity to phone in at 1-646-787-8521. The show features a variety of formats including 1 on1 interviews, roundtable discussions, phone in shows, former player interviews and much more.
Check out our previous episodes below:
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 26th– Round Table (Pannikar, Bruce, Henderson)
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 25th– Round Table (Borden, Raponi, Henderson)
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 24th– Dr. Kristina Reihl, Mathew Tsang, Colin Teskey
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 23rd– Scott MacArthur, Chris Henderson, Mark Hebscher
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 21st– Adam Corsair, Alexis Brudnicki, Brendan Pannikar
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 20th– Nick Raponi, Craig Borden, Kirsten McKernan
- Jays Journal Podcast- featuring guest, Ben Nicholson-Smith
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 18th– Round Table (Graves, Henderson)
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 17th– Live Callers
- Jays Journal Podcast- June 14th– Matt Graves, Craig Borden, & Chris Henderson
- Jays Journal Podcast Exclusive- The Todd Stottlemyre Interview
“Ari Shapiro is the host and creative director of the Jays Journal radio podcast and is a freelance writer, interviewer, and producer. He’s appeared on the Fan 590 Sportsnet radio, 90.5 FM Extra Talk Sports radio, and is a proud contributor with FanSided.”