After an intense pitcher's duel in last night's 2-1 Toronto Blue Jays win, tonight could feature more of the same magic from the mound.
With their second win in a row, the Jays moved to 67-54 and are 2.0 games up on Seattle for the third Wild Card spot entering into action today. The Jays will look to even the season series with their "natural rivals" from the City of Brotherly Love. After their third straight loss and a 65-55 record, the Philadelphia Phillies sit 2.5 games up in the first NL Wild Card spot.
Probable starting pitchers
- For the Blue Jays, ace Kevin Gausman takes the hill with a 9-6 record through 23 starts and carries a 3.04 ERA and 1.14 WHIP into this one. The right-hander has been his usual dominant self this season and leads all American League starters with a 4.4 fWAR, 2.72 FIP, 3.05 SIERA and an 11.85 K/9. Gausman faced the Phillies in May, tossing six shutout innings, allowing only three hits and striking out nine.
- The Phillies will counter with Aaron Nola, who will be making his 25th start. The 30-year-old has had an up-and-down season and comes into this matchup with a 9-8 record and a 4.49 ERA. He hasn't made it out of the fifth inning in his last three outings, pitching to a 4.91 in five starts since the All-Star break. The right-hander has been sharp around the zone, however, with a 10.13 K/9 and 1.53 BB/9 over that stretch.
Toronto Blue Jays starting lineup, August 16
- 1. LF Whit Merrifield
- 2. DH Brandon Belt
- 3. 1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- 4. RF George Springer
- 5. 2B Cavan Biggio
- 6. C Alejandro Kirk
- 7. CF Daulton Varsho
- 8. 3B Santiago Espinal
- 9. SS Paul DeJong
Philadelphia Phillies starting lineup, August 16
- 1. DH Kyle Schwarber
- 2. 3B Alec Bohm
- 3. 1B Bryce Harper
- 4. RF Nick Castellanos
- 5. 2B Bryson Stott
- 6. SS Trea Turner
- 7. C JT Realmuto
- 8. LF Jake Cave
- 9. CF Johan Rojas
What channel is the Toronto Blue Jays game on tonight?
- Game time: 7:07 pm ET
- Sportsnet and TVA Sports will have the broadcast for the Blue Jays.
- The Phillies broadcast will be on NBCSP.
How do I stream the Toronto Blue Jays game tonight?
How can I listen to the Toronto Blue Jays game tonight?
- The Blue Jays broadcast will be on Sportsnet 590.
- Phillies fans can tune into the game on 94 WIP and WTTM 1680.