Don't look now, but this Toronto Blue Jays squad is starting to piece together a winning streak as we near the All-Star Break. Thanks to four straight wins (and six straight losses by the first-place Rays), the Jays are now just 7 GB of the AL East lead. Just a few days ago, this was a double-digit deficit. Winning games against bad AL Central teams may seem "cheap" to some, but all wins look the same in the standings.
Ahead of today's game, the Blue Jays placed George Springer on the paternity list and recalled Nathan Lukes from Triple-A Buffalo.
Probable starting pitchers
- Right-hander Kevin Gausman is set to make his 19th start of the 2023 campaign. So far this year, the 32-year-old has been excellent, posting a 7-4 record with a 3.04 ERA, MLB-leading 2.49 FIP and an ERA+ of 136. He currently leads the American League in strikeouts with 146 while his K/9 (12.0) also leads the league. Gausman was recently selected to his second career All-Star Game and has a legitimate shot at starting the game, although it would come on just three days rest, so it may be unlikely.
- For the Tigers, 25-year-old Matt Manning will be making his fifth start of the year. The right-hander has a 4.84 ERA, 5.62 FIP and 90 ERA+. He is coming off of a season last year in which he was an above-average pitcher, though he is still working to get back to those numbers in 2023.
Toronto Blue Jays starting lineup, July 8
- 1. SS Bo Bichette
- 2. DH Brandon Belt
- 3. 1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- 4. 3B Matt Chapman
- 5. RF Cavan Biggio
- 6. 2B Whit Merrifield
- 7. LF Daulton Varsho
- 8. C Alejandro Kirk
- 9. CF Kevin Kiermaier
Detroit Tigers starting lineup, July 8
- 1. 3B Zach McKinstry
- 2. DH Riley Greene
- 3. 1B Spencer Torkelson
- 4. RF Kerry Carpenter
- 5. LF Matt Vierling
- 6. SS Javier Báez
- 7. C Eric Haase
- 8. 2B Zack Short
- 9. CF Jake Marisnick
What channel is the Toronto Blue Jays game on today?
- Game time: 1:10 pm ET
- Sportsnet and TVA Sports will have the broadcast for the Blue Jays.
- Tigers fans can catch the game on Bally Sports Detroit.
- On a national stage, MLB Network will have the game for out-of-market viewers only.
How do I stream the Toronto Blue Jays game today?
How can I listen to the Toronto Blue Jays game today?
- The Blue Jays broadcast will be on Sportsnet 590.
- Tigers fans can tune into the game on 97.1 The Ticket.