The Toronto Blue Jays are coming off a rough showing in which they were defeated by the Cleveland Guardians in 1-0 fashion. The Jays pitching staff did everything possible to keep the offense in the game, but there just wasn't anything there. Fortunately, the first-place Orioles lost on Tuesday as well, so the Blue Jays' seven-game deficit in the AL East race remains untouched.
Probable starting pitchers
- For the Blue Jays, AL Cy Young contender Kevin Gausman is gearing up to make his 23rd start of the season. The right-hander currently leads the majors in FIP with a 2.79 and leads the American League in strikeouts with 177. Through 132 innings of work, the 32-year-old is 8-6 with a 3.20 ERA and 129 ERA+. With the latest injury news out of Shane McClanahan's camp, Gausman is looking better and better to bring home a Cy Young Award at season's end.
- Stop me if you think you've heard this before, but the Guardians are going to be sending a rookie to the mound to start tonight's contest. This time around, it's going to be left-handed pitcher Logan Allen, who has looked sharp through the first 16 starts of his big league career. The 24-year-old is 5-4 with a 3.65 ERA, 3.95 FIP and 115 ERA+ through just over 86 innings of work this year.
Toronto Blue Jays starting lineup, August 9
- 1. LF Whit Merrifield
- 2. RF George Springer
- 3. 1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- 4. 3B Matt Chapman
- 5. DH Danny Jansen
- 6. 2B Davis Schneider
- 7. C Alejandro Kirk
- 8. SS Paul DeJong
- 9. CF Daulton Varsho
Cleveland Guardians starting lineup, August 9
- 1. LF Steven Kwan
- 2. 2B Andrés Giménez
- 3. 3B José Ramírez
- 4. DH Oscar Gonzalez
- 5. 1B Kole Calhoun
- 6. CF Ramón Laureano
- 7. RF Will Brennan
- 8. SS Gabriel Arias
- 9. C Cam Gallagher
What channel is the Toronto Blue Jays game on tonight?
- Game time: 7:10 pm ET
- Sportsnet will have the broadcast for the Blue Jays.
- The Guardians broadcast will be on Bally Sports Great Lakes.
How do I stream the Toronto Blue Jays game tonight?
How can I listen to the Toronto Blue Jays game tonight?
- The Blue Jays broadcast will be on Sportsnet 590.
- Guardians fans can tune into the game on WTAM 1100, WMMS 100.7 and Guardians Radio Network.