After ALDS slip ups against Blue Jays, Yankees star sets ridiculous contract price

Is anyone willing to meet this offer?
Oct 8, 2025; Bronx, New York, USA; New York Yankees second baseman Jazz Chisholm Jr. (13) forces out Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Ernie Clement (22) and tries to turn a double play during the eighth inning during game four of the ALDS round for the 2025 MLB playoffs at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images
Oct 8, 2025; Bronx, New York, USA; New York Yankees second baseman Jazz Chisholm Jr. (13) forces out Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Ernie Clement (22) and tries to turn a double play during the eighth inning during game four of the ALDS round for the 2025 MLB playoffs at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images | Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images

Jazz Chisholm Jr. wants to be one of the top earners in the league next season. The New York Yankees second baseman has already publicly stated that he wants a $300 million contract and after some of the money that go thrown around this winter, he's likely looking for more dough when he hits free agency following the 2026 campaign.

Chisholm told Randy Miller of NJ.com that he wants a long term deal with an average annual value around $35 million. "What did I tell you last year? $300 million?" Chisholm said. "It's probably bigger than that now, probably $35 million. I'm 28. I want 8-10 years."

After ALDS slip ups against Blue Jays, Yankees star sets ridiculous contract price

Wouldn't it be great if we all just got what we want? Should that wish come true for Chisholm he would be the highest-paid second baseman in MLB history with that deal surpassing what Robinson Cano got from the Seattle Mariners in 2014, a 10-year $240 million deal. And while Chisholm has put up some fantastic numbers in his career, Toronto Blue Jays fans saw first hand that he can be a liability in the field.

In Game 4 of the 2025 ALDS, the Blue Jays were hanging on to a 2-1 lead in the top of the seventh at Yankee Stadium. Blue Jays shortstop Andrés Giménez slapped a ball at Chisholm that should have been an inning ending double play. Instead, the ball bounced off Chisholm and went into center field, giving the Blue Jays runners on the corners with one out.

Two batters later, George Springer brought in both runners with a single to center field, and the Blue Jays expanded their lead to 4-1 before they eventually took the series after a 5-2 win in that Game 4 victory.

Chisholm also didn't hit particularly well against the Blue Jays. His lone hit in 14 at-bats was a solo home run and he walked twice, while striking out twice as well. But that doesn't necessarily negate the year Chisholm had in his first full campaign in the Big Apple. He slashed .242/.332/.481 with 31 home runs and was worth 4.4 fWAR. He also produced a 5.3 defensive fWAR, starting the year by playing at third before finishing with 100 games under his belt at second.

Chisholm will be one of the best free agents on the market, especially at second base. Nico Hoerner, Gleyber Torres, Brandon Lowe, Luis Arraez, and potentially Ozzie Albies (if the Atlanta Braves decline his $7-million club option) will also be on the market. Chisholm, is not only already setting his asking price but also putting his current team on notice.

When asked if he'd give the Yankees a home town discount, Chisholm responded with, "nope." He said, ""I'd say no (if the Yankees offered me a $25 million AAV) because I know I can get $35 million somewhere else, That's $10 million less a year." He added, "I'd go to the (Los Angeles) Angels before I'd go to the Dodgers. I'd want to go and win by myself. I'd rather build my roof than go to the Dodgers."

The outspoken Silver Slugger isn't a stranger to making headlines and there's no doubt his talents will certainly get him paid at some point (lockout impending), but that asking price might be incredibly lofty for him to attain.

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations