February 15, 2015; New York, NY, USA; NBA legend Dikembe Mutombo (left) and former president Bill Clinton (right) sit courtside during the first quarter of the 2015 NBA All-Star Game at Madison Square Garden.Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Around the World & Extras
It was a time of change in Canada as the Blue Jays rallied the nation. Following the resignation of Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell took over leadership from the 25th of June until the 4th of November. At that point, Jean Chretien was elected as the Prime Minister of Canada. South of the border, Bill Clinton would replace George Bush in the White House.
- The sporting controversy of Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson still lingered in 1993, as he’d had his two Olympic bronze medals and one gold medal stripped in 1988 after being caught in a doping scandal. Johnson was on the comeback trail in ’93 before being caught doping again, resulting in his infamous lifetime ban by the IAAF.
- On February 26th of 1993, tragedy struck the United States with the World Trade Centre bombing. Six people lost their lives while over 1,000 were injured and 50,000 had to be evacuated.
- Czechoslovakia came to an end as the Blue Jays reached the mountaintop, dividing into separate nations of the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- For those of your still nostalgic for 90’s sports entertainment, WWF Monday Night Raw debuted in 1993 featuring everyone’s favorite nightmare-maker: The Undertaker.
- From Cuba to Quebec and everywhere in between, North America was slammed by the “Great Blizzard of ’93” or “Storm of the Century” that March. The storm brought record cold temperatures to the east coast while dropping over 40 inches of snow on New York, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Maybe we could hold off on that repeat in 2015.
More from Jays Journal
- Blue Jays: Snapping cold streaks at the right time
- Who Should the Blue Jays Extend First: Guerrero, Bichette or Manoah?
- Blue Jays now hold the top Wild Card spot, and yes that’s a good thing
- Blue Jays may have the tools to use a Bullpen Day
- Blue Jays win important first game after Bichette’s late inning heroics