Toronto city officials estimate that 2,000 to 4,000 Blue Jays fans suffered sprained ankles early Saturday evening while jumping off of the Blue Jays bandwagon. An update will be provided on their condition, and willingness to rejoin the wagon, following today’s result.
The beauty of baseball is the nearly endless supply of “tomorrow”. After a difficult loss to the Red Sox on Saturday afternoon that had fans reaching for the panic button, Mark Buehrle will lead the Jays into the Sunday finale with the series still on the line. A poor outing by Roberto Osuna should be chalked up to what it is: an outlier. He’ll be trusted in the same situation again without the blink of an eye, and as the Blue Jays carry on, so do we! Enjoy the Morning Brew.
Tulowitzki update – Sportsnet’s Arden Zwelling brings us the latest word on shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who recently met with a specialist regarding his shoulder injury. While he’s making progress, you’ll need to define that word with some degree of patience.
“I feel a lot better. I mean, I can lift my arm now. Before I couldn’t even move my arm,” Tulowitzki told Zwelling prior to Saturday’s game. “Every day I feel like I’m making strides. I’m definitely headed in the right direction.”
More from Toronto Blue Jays News
- Matt Chapman has been exactly what the Blue Jays needed
- Blue Jays: The goalposts are moving in the right direction
- Single-A Dunedin Blue Jays advance to the Championship Series
- Blue Jays: Comparisons for Alek Manoah’s Second Season
- Blue Jays: Adam Cimber, the unlikely decision King
It will continue to be a waiting game over the next week to ten days, so we shouldn’t expect a hard timeline anytime soon. As we saw with Devon Travis earlier in the year, there’s a such thing as pushing too hard. “I’m in waiting mode. There’s no plan. No date set,” Tulowitzki said. “You don’t want to throw a date out there and have people expecting you to return—and then you’re not there because you’re not ready.”
Colabello’s winding road – Check out this great Sporsnet interview with Blue Jays first baseman Chris Colabello. After taking the long road to the Major Leagues with years of Independent ball, Colabello never lost faith in his ability to play at the highest level. In fact, he was certain.
His 2014 season seemed to expose him as a hitter that couldn’t cut it at the MLB level, but Colabello was clearly hindered by injury. He’s now proven to be one of the most intelligent moves made by Alex Anthopoulos in 2015, and should remain as a contributor for years to come. An incredible story of perseverance.
Edwin and Jose’s options – From the “Oh, really?” file, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Jays have decided to pick up the $10 million and $14 million options on Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista. There was zero chance of anything happening otherwise, but we’ll soon be able to look towards 2017 and their expiring contracts. Will the Blue Jays lock up both players, or will they be forced to choose? Interesting times ahead on the contract front on Toronto.