The Blue Jays have been red hot of late winning 7 in a row enterting Sunday`s contest. They were looking to sweep the Yankees for the first time in New York since May of 2003. The Jays sent out 9-6 Marco Estrada who has won two in a row. The Yankees trying to stop the skid sent out 8-4 Masahiro Tanaka.
The Yankees picked up their first hit of the game with a lead off single by Didi Gregorius in the bottom of the 3rd inning. Stephen Drew put down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runner to 2nd base. Jacoby Ellsbury popped up to short for the 2nd out of the inning. Brett Gardner ground out to short to end the inning.
In the top of the 4th inning Jose Bautista smashed a one out solo home run to deep left field. Dioneer Navarro and Chris Colabello flied out and ground out to end the inning.
In the bottom of the 5th and one out Didi Gregorius was hit by a pitch. Stephen Drew struck out for the 2nd out. Jacoby Ellsbury popped up to end the inning.
Adam Warren came in to pitch the 7th inning for the Yankees. Jose Bautista led off the inning with a single to center field. Dioner Navarro followed that up with a walk to put two runners on base. Chris Colabello was hit by a pitch to load up the bases with no outs. Justin Wilson entered the game to pitch to Justin Smoak and struck him out. Cliff Pennington entered the game to pinch hit for Ryan Goins. Pennington struck out for the 2nd out. Kevin Pillar flew out to end the inning.
With one out in the bottom of the 7th Carlos Beltran drew a walk. Chase Headley hit a single to left field. That was the end of the day for Marco Estrada. LaTroy Hawkins entered the game for the Blue Jays. Didi Gregorius lined out to 3rd base for the 2nd out. Stephen Drew struck out to end the inning.
After one out in the 8th Justin Wilson was taken out of the game. The Yankees brought in Brandon Pinder to pitch to the top of the Jays order. Troy Tulowitzki drew a one out walk. Josh Donaldson hit a single to center field. Jose Bautista struck out swinging for the 2nd out. Chasen Shreve came into the game to pitch for the Yankees. Dioner Navarro ground out to end the inning.
Aaron Sanchez came in to pitch the 8th inning for the Blue Jays. Brett Gardner drew a one out walk. Alex Rodriguez reached base on a fielders choice after Gardner`s slide broke up a possible double play. Mark Teixeira struck out stringing to end the inning.
Cliff Pennington drew a two out walk in the top of the 9th inning. Kevin Pillar struck out to end the inning.
Roberto Osuna entered the game to pitch the 9th inning for the Blue Jays. Osuna pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the clean save.
- Marco Estrada picked up his 10th win of the season despite some struggles. He was able to get some key ground balls and strike outs when he needed them most. At one point in the 4th inning he threw 10 straight balls. His control came and went but the ball stayed in the park for him.
- Again today the offense was all via the home run. Aside from 1 RBI in Saturday`s contest, all of the runs have come in via the long ball. Jose Bautista and Josh Donaldson both with solo home runs.
- On that note, Josh Donaldson hit his 31st home run of the season. That puts him in 3rd place in all of MLB for home runs. Currently Josh is on pace to hit 44 home runs.
- Cliff Pennington made his debut today. He entered the game in the 7th pinch as a pinch hitter. The bases were loaded with one out setting up a potential splash in his debut. The result was anticlimactic as he struck out swinging. He did reach base on his 2nd at bat drawing a walk in the 9th inning.
- The sweep of the Yankees has cut the Yankees lead over the Jays with a nice 3 game swing.
- Not only did the Blue Jays sweep the Yankees but they only allowed a single run in all 3 games.