The Blue Jays entered Saturdays contest fresh off an extra innings victory over the Yankees. The Jays are on a 6 game win streak and have taken 9 of the last 10 games. Trying to continue the hot streak the Jays got to send out their newly crowned ace David Price to the mound. The Yankees countered with streaking Ivan Nova, who is on his own 3 game win streak.
Ryan Goins picked up an infield single with two outs in the bottom of the 2nd inning. Goins advanced to 2nd base on a wild pitch.
John Gibbons was tossed out of the game between the top and bottom of the 3rd inning. It appeared that he came out to talk about Donaldson’s check swings that were called strikes. Home plate umpire Greg Gibson was quick to toss Gibby before he could even make his way to home plate. There must have been some comments about balls and strikes because it was a quick ejection.
Alex Rodriguez picked up the Yankees first hit of the afternoon with a lead off single in the 4th inning. Mark Teixeira struck out for the 1st out of the inning. Brian McCann struck out for the 2nd out of the inning. Carlos Beltran hit a single to center to put two runners on base. Chase Headley hit a shallow fly ball to center to end the inning.
Russell Martin was plunked with no outs in the top of the 5th. Ryan Goins tried to put down a bunt to advance the runner but Martin was thrown out at 2nd base on the play. Kevin Pillar ground out to 1st base but advanced the runner into scoring position. Goins Advanced to 3rd base on another wild pitch by Ivan Nova. Ben Revere hit a fly ball to left field to end the inning.
Josh Donaldson drew a one out walk in the top of the 6th inning. Jose Bautista hit a single to left field to put two runners on base with only one out. Edwin Encarnacion walked to load up the bases. Justin Smoak hit a grand slam to break the shutout and give the Jays the lead. That marked the end of the afternoon for Ivan Nova. The Yankees brought in Adam Warren to pitch. Russell Martin struck out for the 2nd out. Ryan Goins struck out to end the inning.
Bryan Mitchell entered the game in the 7th inning to pitch for the Yankees. With two outs Troy Tulowitzki hit a solo home run to left field to add to the lead. Josh Donaldson ground out to end the inning.
Chase Headley drew a two out walk in the bottom of the 7th inning. Didi Gregorius hit a single to right field to put two runners on base with two outs. Brendan Ryan popped up to 1st base to end the inning and the day for David Price.
Jose Bautista reached base on an error to lead off the top of the 8th inning. Edwin Encarnacion hit a single to center field and Bautista advanced to 3rd on the play. Justin Smoak hit into a double play. Bautista could not score and stayed on 3rd base. Russell Martin hit an infield single to score Bautista from 3rd base. Ryan Goins struck out to end the inning.
Mark Lowe entered the game to pitch the 9th inning for the Blue Jays. Lowe tossed a 1-2-3 9th inning.
- David Price had a streak of 20 straight batters retired in a row. The streak spanned back into his first start with the Jays. He gave up a walk to Beltran in the 2nd to snap the streak.
- Justin Smoak hit his first career grand slam. It was the perfect time to do it with a tie game in Yankee Stadium.
- Almost all of the Jays runs in the series have come via the home run. Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista, Troy Tulowitzki, and Justin Smoak all have hit home runs. Russell Martin picked up the first RBI that did not come from a HR in the 8th inning.
- The Jays showed patience and drew out some long at bats. They forced Ivan Nova to rack up 104 pitches without getting out of the 6th inning.
- David Price had another great game for the Jays. In his first two starts he has 2 W, 15 IP, 18 K, 1 ER, and 5 BB.
- Edwin Encarnacion has himself an 11 game hit streak. Over that span he has raised his season average to .251.