After the flurry of acquisitions over the past week, the Blue Jays needed to open some spots on the roster. To the surprise of nearly everyone Danny Valencia was one of the victims of that process. Ezequiel Carrera and Ryan Tepera were also removed from the roster. Munenori Kawasaki, Mark Lowe and Ben Revere took their places. More roster moves appear to be in the offing as well. In the meantime those who remain look to continue their recent surge.
Mark Buehrle was effective and efficient through the first three innings. His only blemish was allowing a Ben Zobrist home run in the first inning. Ben Revere made a fantastic catch to help Buehrle out of the 4th in his first game as a Blue Jay. In the 6th, Buehrle made a rare fielding error which spurred the Royals to a three run rally. Like the consummate professional he is, Buehrle didn’t let his mistake faze him and struck out two for a clean 7th inning.
Yordano Ventura rolled through the first three innings without any issues. In the 4th however, the Blue Jays had a two run, two out rally courtesy of four straight singles from Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Justin Smoak and Dioner Navarro. The 5th too was rough on Ventura with another set of 2 out hits. Josh Donaldson and Jose Bautista both hit loud home runs. Josh’s was of the 2 run variety. Ventura settled down to pitch a perfect 6th and 7th.
Mark Lowe debut in the 8th really could not have gone worse. He allowed a home run to Zobrist, and another two runs off of three more hits. Liam Hendricks prevented more damage in the 9th
Wade Davis allowed a home run to Jose Bautista to make it 7-6. Edwin Encarnacion almost hit one the next at bat but Cain corralled it on the warning track. The Blue Jays made things interesting in the 9th but Greg Holland shut things down to secure a win for the Royals
- For the third straight game, the Royals went ahead in the 1st inning
- For a moment there it looked as if Buehrle might have been injured off a hard comebacker. He, of course, quickly shook it off and stayed in.
- The Jays were robbed of an extra base in the 5th when the umpire called a foul tip on what was really a passed ball. It didn’t end up mattering much with Donaldson’s home run the next at bat
- Buehrle has only issued one walk in his past six starts
- Jose Bautista hit the first home run Wade Davis has allowed all season
MVJ: Jose Bautista