Blue Jays lose close game to the Twins, 3-2
The Blue Jays entered the middle set of the 3 game series with the Twins off of a victory. A win today will secure a much needed series win. The Blue Jays sent out Aaron Sanchez who entered the game with a 4-4 record. The Twins countered with their budding star Kyle Gibson.
In the first inning Josh Donaldson picked up the first hit of the afternoon with a one single to left field. Jose Bautista followed that up with his own single to left field. Kyle Gibson escaped any damage after getting Edwin Encarnacion to ground into an inning ending double play.
Russell Martin led off the 2nd inning with a walk. Russell Martin was erased after Chris Colabello hit into a double play. Ezequiel Carrera hit a two out seeing eye double down the right field line. Kevin Pillar extended the inning with a walk, the 2nd of the game. No damage was done as Kyle Gibson escaped the inning.
The Twins picked up their first base runner when Eddie Rosario hit a one out single in the bottom of the 2nd inning. He was promptly thrown out trying to steal 2nd base. The inning ended off a fly ball to left field.
Jose Reyes led off the 3rd inning with an infield hit deflected off of Kyle Gibson`s glove. Jose Reyes stole 2nd base but was able to advance to 3rd base on a errant throw by Chris Herrmann. After watching the first three balls go by Jose Bautista was intentionally walked. That put runners on 1st and 3rd with only one out. Edwin Encarnacion followed that up with a walk of his own to load up the bases. Russell Martin hit a dribbler to the pitcher who turned another double play to end the inning.
Chris Herrman led of the bottom of the 3rd inning with a solo home run. Aaron Hicks followed that with a walk. The Twins put the runner in motion but Danny Santana still hit into a double play due to a nice play by Ryan Goins to turn the ball over to Jose Reyes.
Kevin Pillar tied up the game with a two out solo home run to left field. Ryan Goins crushed a fast ball off the center field wall to put a runner in scoring potion for Jose Reyes. Jose hit a fly ball to the warning track but it was caught to end the inning.
Eduardo Nunez led off the inning with a walk. Russell Martin gunned him down trying to steal 2nd base. Joe Mauer hit a one out double to left field. Trevor Plouffe hit the 2nd double of the inning to score Joe Mauer. Eddie Rosario was issued a walk, the 3rd of the game for Aaron Sanchez. Aaron got out of the inning with back to back strike outs.
Aaron Hicks led off the bottom of the 5th with a single. With two outs Aaron Hicks stolen 2nd base but was ruled out after batters interference on Russell Martin making the throw to 2nd.
Russell Martin led off the 6th inning with a single to right field. Chris Colabello followed that up with a bloop single to right field. Ezequiel Carrera hit a nice bunt down towards 3rd base and reach base on a throwing error to 1st. Russell Martin scored on the play. The Twins brought in lefty Brian Duensing to face Jose Reyes with 2 outs and got out of the inning.
With one out in the bottom of the 6th Eddie Rosario and Trevor Plouffe hit back to back singles. Eduardo Escobar hit a fly ball to left field. With two outs Chriss Herrmann hit a dribbler to Encarnacion to end the inning.
In the bottom of the 7th Aaron Loup came into the game to pitch for Aaron Sanchez. Aaron Hicks reach base with an infield single. Danny Santana put down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runner. Brian Dozier hit a drive into the gap, Ezequiel Carrera made a diving play to almost come up with a highlight catch. Dozier made it to 3rd base on the play. Aaron Loup was able to pitch his way out of the inning allowing only the single run.
Ezequiel Carrera hit a two out single to center field in the 8th inning. Kevin Pillar struck out to end the inning.
Blaine Boyer came into the 9th inning to close out the game for the Twins.
- Aaron Sanchez is slow churning out a decent campaign. He picked up his 3rd straight quality start. He didn`t factor into the decision today but he kept the game close and went 6 innings.
- The Twins started out the game with 3 double plays in the first 3 innings of the game. The Blue Jays needed a clutch hit or two today and just couldn`t find it.
- Before the game this afternoon the Blue Jays were ranked 4th in the Majors with 6.16 runners left on base per game. That may slip after failing to convert so many runners today. The team totaled 17 LOB.
- Ryan Goins has been playing very well defensively for Devon Travis. He also picked up a nice double today. In most ballparks that double may have been a home run. While hit bat isn`t nearly as productive as Devon`s his glove shines through.
- Kevin Pillar finally broke out of his slump at the plate and hit nice home run to left field. Hopefully this will give Kevin some more confidence going forward.
- Russell Martin picked off 2 would be base stealers. He almost got a 3rd but was interfered with and the inning ended on the play anyway. Russell Martin is proving his worth every game.