Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz’s agent Jaime Torres began accepting informal offers on Wednesday and the Toronto Blue Jays are one of several teams “engaged in talks” with the 23-year-old infielder.
The St. Louis Cardinals had an exclusive workout for Diaz yesterday and seem to be headlining the process but their involvement is a bit confusing to me. They are already loaded with middle infielders in Jhonny Peralta, Mark Ellis, Kolten Wong and Matt Carpenter so it’s not clear where Diaz would play in 2014 if the Cards end up winning the bid for his services.
The Blue Jays, on the other hand, have much more of a need for a middle infielder, specifically someone capable of manning the second base position. His agent says Diaz’s preference is shortstop but he’s played second and third in the past and says he’s willing to play “whatever position is necessary”.
Strauss lists the San Francisco Giants, New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies and Seattle Mariners as other teams who are speaking with the Cuban prospect’s agent. For more information on Diaz, check out this article from Kyle Franzoni last week.
The Jays’ fan base needs a jolt and taking a chance on Diaz would likely be an applauded move. However based on what we’ve had to endure this off-season I don’t think many Toronto fans are getting their hopes up.
The Aledmys Diaz rumors are circulating fast today, and the Blue Jays continue to be in the thick of it. The latest from Shi Davidi indicates that while others are making noise by scheduling the young Cuban shortstop for private workouts, the Blue Jays already held on with Diaz last weekend.
What that means in terms of Toronto’s pursuit of Diaz, we can’t speak to. However, the team has an immediate place to slot him him and capital to expend after sitting out the winter spending spree.