According to Jim Bowden of SirusXM, the Toronto Blue Jays "expect" to land either Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez Credit: Peter G. Aiken-USA TODAY Sports

Bowden: Blue Jays expect to get Santana or Jimenez


According to Jim Bowden of SiriusXM’s Inside Pitch, the Toronto Blue Jays are quite confident about their chances of landing either Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez. However he does note that, as of last night, an offer has been yet to be made.

Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports told us the day before that the “the Jays have yet to make an offer to a free-agent starter, according to major league sources” but also said they “might finally be preparing to pounce.” This matches what Anthopoulos has been telling us lately as he confirmed they have been in ongoing discussions about acquiring a starting pitcher on Wednesday night at the Blue Jays’ State of the Franchise address.

Rosenthal also notes that we shouldn’t read too much the Blue Jays extensive background work on Jimenez and says that although Ubaldo may come cheaper that “does not necessarily mean that he is the club’s preferred choice, sources said.”

There is also some speculation about the possibility of a return to Toronto for A.J. Burnett after Jeff Blair in the Globe and Mail shared that according to a source with another team the Blue Jays have been one of the teams talking with Burnett’s agent. However Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star put that rumour mostly to bed when he said due to a number of factors including the fact he would be more expensive on a one-year basis, “A.J. won’t happen.”

How long until something actually does? I guess for now we will have to just keep waiting.

Tags: Ervin Santana Featured Popular Toronto Blue Jays Ubaldo Jimenez

  • Andrew van Laar

    Mike, how do you feel about AJ coming back? Would you do that or do you think he is a NL pitcher?

    • Guest

      I personally like the idea, as long as it is accompanied by a Santana/Jimenez signing. This would open up one rotation spot per year for the next 4 years (maybe 2 next year, depending on Morrow). That would allow constant infusion of young arms, while maintaining an experienced rotation. It would also give us a good rotation this year too.

      So this year it would be Dickey, AJ, Buehrle, Morrow, Santana
      Next year could be Dickey, Santana, Buehrle, Hutchinson, Stroman
      Then Stroman, Hutchinson, Santana, Buehrle, Sanchez
      And then Stroman, Sanchez, Hutchinson, Santana, Osuna

      Or something like that. Guys like Drabek, Nolin, etc. would be swing men, or more if they are better.

    • http://jaysjournal.com/ Michael Wray

      I would actually love me some A.J. – 56% GB rate and 24% K rate the last two years in Pittsburgh? Sign me up! I don’t think he’d be able to sustain quite as gaudy numbers in the AL East but he looks much more like the Blue Jays version of Burnett than the Yankees version. You have to wonder how much he has left at 37 but a one-year deal would mitigate most of that risk and would also leave Jays in position to make a run at a potentially better FA next winter. I think the issue is more whether or not he wants to come back here, if he does I would welcome him back with open arms.

  • Joel

    I don’t think anyone is questioning not giving the QO to Josh Johnson now. I think AA saw what happened to Lohse last year with draft pick compensation attached and knew he had a huge advantage with having two protected first rounders. Something tells me he’s got a 3/33 offer ready to go to which of the two will take it. That’s a huge bargain for a number 3 starter right now. The guys are gonna have to start thinking twice about turning down QO’s.

    It’s been pretty well publicized that they have about $15m to add this year. If he can save a bit and have an extra $4m then he could go after Bello the cuban catcher or a Jeff Baker to platoon with Lind and Goins. He would be a good backup option for when and if Lawrie get’s injured also. Since we know Goins can play a premium SS also it protects us against the Izturis/Muni/Derosa/Boni infield defense disaster of last year.

  • Justin Jay

    Well Jim Bowden didn’t really say much in that. He of all people should know that discussions only show interest, but until an offer is made, nobody is really close. Even when an offer is made, nobody is guaranteed. SEE: Carl Crawford and Los Angeles Angels 2012

    Also, like most of what Joel said. Don’t know why anybody would question giving JJ a QO. He was terrible last season and it would have been the best offer he received. Baker would be a solid platoon guy with Lind. Not really sure though why Muni was included in that defense disaster list. He shouldn’t be playing SS and that’s where they put him. His arm isn’t strong enough for that side of the infield. He’s got good range though. 2B would better suit him.