Gold Glove Winners 2013: R.A. Dickey, American League Pitcher

gold glove winners

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher R.A. Dickey wins the American League Gold Glove Award for pitcher. Photo Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher R.A. Dickey won his first career Gold Gold on Tuesday night becoming the first Jay to accomplish the feat since Vernon Wells in 2006.

Dickey beat out fellow Blue Jays teammate Mark Buehrle and Detroit Tigers’ pitcher Doug Fister for the award. He was also named Fielding Bible‘s top defensive pitcher on Monday, which uses advanced metrics to determine a winner. According to Shi Davidi at Sportsnet, Gold Glove voting included a 25% component that used advanced metrics and the remaining 75% the traditional manager/coach polling system.

Dickey led the American league pitchers with 7 defensive runs saved and was also tied for first in the AL with 5 rPM, which according to FanGraphs evaluates a fielder’s range and ability to convert a batted ball to an out. The award comes on the same day as his 39th birthday.

Buehrle won three consecutive Gold Glove Awards from 2009-2011. Jeremy Hellickson and Jake Peavy split the AL award in 2012. Here’s the full list of the 2013 Gold Glove winners.

American League:

P R.A. Dickey Toronto
C Salvador Perez Kansas City
1B Eric Hosmer Kansas City
2B Dustin Pedroia Boston
3B Manny Machado Baltimore
SS J.J. Hardy Baltimore
LF Alex Gordon Kansas City
CF Adam Jones Baltimore
RF Shane Victorino Boston

National League:

P Adam Wainwright St. Louis
C Yadier Molina St. Louis
1B Paul Goldschmidt Ariona
2B Brandon Phillips Cincinnati
3B Nolan Arenado Colorado
SS Andrelton Simmons Atlanta
LF Carlos Gonzalez Colorado
CF Carlos Gomez Milwaukee
RF Gerardo Parra Arizona

Topics: R.A. Dickey, Toronto Blue Jays

Want more from Jays Journal?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.