John Tolisano Named Player of the Week in Australian Baseball League

Congratulations to New Hampshire Fisher Cats LF/2B John Tolisano for being named an Australian Baseball League Player of the Week last night. Tolisano is playing for the Canberra Cavalry baseball club, part of the six-team ABL based in southeast Australia.

Tolisano won the award after a hot start to his ABL season where he went 6-for-14 (.429) with one double, two home runs, and three walks in his first four games.

This is Tolisano’s first time in the ABL, and he certainly seems to be enjoying it. In his first game, he went 2-for-3 with a walk and a home run, scoring a pair of runs as well. He then reached base five of seven times in Canberra’s doubleheader against the Brisbane Bandits on November 5, slickly fielding a ground ball in Game 1 while hitting a walk-off home run in Game 2.

Another Blue Jays prospect, Dunedin Blue Jays outfielder Kenny Wilson, is also playing for the Cavalry and has gone 3-for-17 (.176) with two doubles and a stolen base in four games.

The ABL, a league that’s 75 percent funded by Major League Baseball with the Australian Baseball Federation funding the remaining 25 percent, played its inaugural season last year. Rather than its franchises being privately owned, the ABL owns each team in order to ensure all teams are equal from a financial standpoint.

-JM

Like what you read and want to stay informed on all updates here at Jays Journal? Follow us on Twitter (@JaysJournal), “Like” our Facebook page, or grab our RSS feed!

Tags: Australian Baseball League Canberra Cavalry John Tolisano

comments powered by Disqus