At least the Jays are beating the teams that they’re supposed to beat. They trumped the O’s for the 7th time this season in 7 games, with lots of help from their new addition – Yunel Escobar. Yunel made 2 very nice defensive plays – showing the cannon of an arm he possesses on one play when he threw off his back foot while crossing behind 2nd base – and also contributed offensively with a perfect bunt single (bringing some much needed small ball to the Jays) and a walk in 5 ABs. The win brings the Jays to a 500 record once again and gives them something to build on as the 2nd half continues.
Speaking of the second half, I have no idea when but I know one thing is for certain – JP Arencibia will be in a Jays uniform in The Show very soon. Not only is he hitting .316 on the year, but he now has 26 HRs on the year after hitting #24-25-26 all within the last 3 games. John Buck may be getting closer and closer to being dealt as a result. My best guesses to his destination – 1) Detroit who only have Avila and Laird who combined for 6 HRs thus far 2) Dodgers who have Russel Martin, but he’s under-performing big time with only 5 HRs and a sub .250 average 3) Florida who have Ronny Paulino and nobody behind him….enough said. I have no idea what the Jays will target in return, although a “close to the majors” outfielder or 3B upgrade seems likely. If the deal is with Florida, look for Jorge Cantu to be the target. Anyone who saw Edwin Encarnacion‘s horrifying D yesterday has to know his time is drawing to a close as a Jay.
Around the Minors
- Brett Wallace finally hit his 15th HR of the year yesterday, going 2 for 4 in the game and inching his average closer to .300 at .298.
- Carlos Perez went 3 for 3 in Auburn and hit his surprising 5th triple of the season! Carlos obviously has a surprising amount of speed for a catcher and is earning his keep as the cleanup hitter on the squad.
- 2009 38th rounder Yudelmis Hernandez hit his 4th HR in 3 games of the SS in Auburn and is now hitting .357 on the young season through 5 games. Talk about being hot! Yudelmis is 6’4″, 205 lbs, bats right and is listed as a 1B although he was DHing with Lance Durham playing 1B. Great start, so keep an eye on him!
- Sean Ochinko (.298) went 2 for 5 with a double to lead Lansing to a 6-4 win over Wisconsin.
- Joel Carreno had another solid outing in HiA, allowing only 2 ER over 6 IP while getting 8 Ks.
- Adeiny Hechavarria (.267) went 2 for 4 with a double in AA, as did Darin Mastroianni who added a walk and a stolen base (34th).