The Jays obviously have to be happy with what they’ve seen from Asher in Auburn since he was drafted and signed quickly this June. Through 3 games, Asher has the following stats:
4 IP/ 3 HA/ 2 BB/ 2 SO/ 0 ER
5 IP/ 1 HA/ 1 BB/ 8 SO / 1 ER
3 IP/ 2 HA/ 1 BB/ 1 SO/ 0 ER
For a total of: 12 IP/ 6 HA/ 4 BB/ 11 SO/ 0.75 ERA, and hitters hitting .146 against him.
That has early promotion written all over it as he is definitely capable of pitching effectively at a higher level. There is no doubt that Asher could do well in Dunedin at this point and I fully expect he may reach that level this season, even if it is for a short run. Such are the advantages of signing early after the draft!
Speaking of signings, Melvin Garcia, the 33rd rd pick was signed on June 30th and assigned to the GCL Jays.
Other Minors Notes:
- Darin Mastroianni went 3 for 5 yesterday, bringing his average up to .302 on the season;
- Eric Thames belted his 13th HR of the season;
- Adeiny Hechavarria (.100 avg) went 0 for 4 hitting 2nd in the lineup;
- Michael McDade hit his 15th HR of the year;
- Tyler Pastornicky stole his 22nd base of the year;
- After a slow start, Santiago Nessy is now hitting .313 with 5 doubles, 2 stolen bases, and a .361 OBP over his last 10 games; and
- Also impressive for the DSL Jays is Eyerys Guerrero who threw 5 shutout innings for the win yesterday. The 17 year old 6’3″ 208 lbs RHP only allowed 2 hits, no walks, and struck out 2.